× Search
Friday, May 7, 2021
Candidate & Campaign Finance InfoCandidate FAQs

Candidate Frequently Asked Questions


 Click on a category to the left to filter the list of FAQs below.

PLEASE NOTE: While we want to make sure you are as informed as possible, the Elections department staff cannot provide advice or help you fill out your paperwork. If you need help, you can consult your county political party office, or seek advice from an attorney or an accountant. 

Can I file my Campaign Finance Reports electronically or by mail?

Yavapai County accepts Campaign Finance Reports by email, mail or in-person. If you mail your report, we recommend allowing enough delivery time that it arrives before the filing deadline.

Electronic reports can be sent by email to

For more information about filing campaign finance reports, please refer to A.R.S. §§ 16-926 and 16-927.

Do I have to file Campaign Finance Reports?

If you filed a Statement of Organization, you are required to file Campaign Finance Reports. The reporting dates are listed on the front page of the Campaign Finance Report Form. You need to file a separate report for each Statement of Organization you filed.

If you were not required to form a committee using a Statement of Organization, you must still keep track of all contributions and expenses. If the aggregate total of receipts and disbursements exceeds $1,300, you must file a Statement of Organization within 10 days. [A.R.S. § 16-906]

Do I need to keep track of my campaign's income and expenses?

Yes. Even if you are not required to file a Statement of Organization, you are required to keep track of all income (contributions, interest, etc.) and expenditures (payments, fees, etc.) for your committee.

See Do I have to file Campaign Finance Reports? above.

How much can someone contribute to my campaign?

Current campaign contribution limits are available on the Arizona Secretary of State’s website. There are no limits to how much a candidate can contribute to their own campaign.

I’ve decided to run for office, what do I need to know?

  1. First, find out who your filing office is and where they are located. Not all candidates file at the County Elections office. It depends on which elected position you’re interested in. See also: Where do I get my candidate paperwork and where do I file? (below)
  2. Pull a candidate packet. The packet contains all the forms and information you need to run for office. See also: Where do I get my candidate paperwork and where do I file? (below)
  3. Register your committee (if applicable) by filing a Statement of Organization. You can form a committee at any time. For more information see A.R.S. §16-905.
    If you spend or collect, in aggregate, more than $1,300, you must file a Statement of Organization. You are then required to file quarterly and pre-election Campaign Finance Reports through the election, and once more when the committee terminates. See also: Campaign Contributions and Campaign Finance Report Dates.
  4. File a Statement of Interest - This form must be filed before you start circulating petitions. 
  5. Circulate your petitions and gather signatures. See also: Petitions.
  6. File your paperwork with the appropriate filing office. See also: Where do I get my candidate paperwork and where do I file? (below) 

What if I didn't have any financial activity this reporting period?

If you did not have any income or expenditures, including fees or interest, you must still file page 1 of the Campaign Finance Report.

What is the difference between a Financial Disclosure Statement and Campaign Finance Reports?

A Financial Disclosure Statement is a report of your personal finances, and is filed at the same time as your Nomination Paper and Petitions. Special District candidates do not have to file Financial Disclosure Statements. County Elected Officials also file an annual Financial Disclosure with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.

Campaign Finance Reports track all the money that a committee has collected and spent. Campaign Finance Reports are filed several times during the year, and cover specific periods of time. All committees who file a Statement of Organization, including Special District candidates, are responsible for filing Campaign Finance Reports. Campaign Finance Reports are required until you file a Termination Statement to close your committee.

NOTE: Precinct Committeemen do not form committees, file Financial Disclosure Statements or Campaign Finance Reports.

When can I begin accepting contributions?

You can begin accepting or spending any money on your campaign, distributing any campaign literature or circulating petitions anytime. However, once the aggregate of contributions and expenses exceeds $1,300, you must file a Statement of Organization. See also I’ve decided to run for office, what do I need to know? (above)


Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2021 by Yavapai County Government